the wonderful world of veena.

12 May 2011

childhood favourites.

Ever since I came across Saved by the Bell: Hawaiian Style on television last weekend, I've been reminiscing over all the other awesome [in my head, at least] shows from my childhood.  From the beginnings of Nick Jr to tuning every Friday for TGIF, I got to watch some awesome shows growing up that I just feel today's shows don't live up to.  I know it's a generational thing, but I just don't see people looking back in 20 years and thinking what great shows Hannah Montana or The Suite Life of Zack and Cody were.  Maybe it's because back then it was just a lot easier to be a kid; I feel like I was a lot more carefree than kids are today.  [when I was back in Helena for my 10-year-reunion last fall, my classmates and I were noting that 14-year-old girls look a lot more grown-up today than they did when we were 14-year-old girls - they seem to be skipping over that awkward middle school phase and going straight into glamorous high school mode]

But I digress.  The point of this post was to remember some of my favourite childhood shows, not to ramble about the differences between being a kid then and now.  These are the ones I remember with the most affection.

the jetsons.  I can almost still remember the entire theme song.  And one of my fondest memories of being a kid is going to see the movie version at Boggs' Cinema [remember that place?] with the Webb family.  I still say that it was mine and Burke's first date.  ah, childhood romance.

the world of david the gnome.  This was one of the first shows when Nick Jr launched, and I used to love watching David race across the land on the back of Swift the Fox to save someone's life.  And I still think that the little "gnome kisses" are the most romantic thing in the world.  [I definitely just watched the theme song on YouTube and am not at all ashamed to admit that I teared up]

the littl' bits.  This was another of the original Nick Jr shows that I used to love.  I don't really even remember much of what it was about, I just remember being obsessed.

the smurfs.  I'm still unsure as to how the Smurf world was so populous when there was only ever one female.

the elephant show.  I realize that is probably not the real name, but I think you know what I'm talking about.  Do you still remember the actions to the closing song ["I love you in the morning and in the afternoon..."]?  Because I definitely do.

full house.  TGIF used to be the best part of the week - we would time dinner so that we would sit down just as the first show started at 7 o'clock.  And yes, Uncle Jesse still makes my heart flutter.  Don't act like you're immune, because we all know that you are lying.

family matters.  I had a Steve Urkel puzzle.  I think that really says it all.  Oh, but he was dreamy when he stepped out of that chamber of his and was transformed into Stefan Ur-kel.

boy meets world.  Admittedly, I stopped watching once they left high school, because I just didn't find the college seasons all that great, but the middle and high school seasons were hilarious.  And yes, I still have a crush on Shawn.  So do you.

the flinstones.  I rocked one of the better Pebbles hairstyles as a child and dreamt of growing up to marry Bam-Bam.  Plus I always wanted a pet dinosaur like Dino, he seemed really cool [not like that bloke Barney. don't get me started on him]

teenage mutant ninja turtles.  My favourite character was always Splinter - who was yours?  I'm still convinced that I was him in a past life.

inspector gadget.  My mother and I used to watch it and sing the song together.  We would yell together that "this note will self-destruct!"  I always wanted a super cool watch like Penny's.  And yes, I still say "go go Gadget arms" when something is just thatmuch out of reach.

charles in charge.  Come on, Scott Baio was dreamy.  He used to be Chachi!

the noozles.  It's the one on Nickelodeon about the little girl in Australia with the pet koala bear from another dimension who survives only on eucalyptus leaves.  You know, the one that no one can ever remember the name of.  I Google-d and Wikipedia-ed it, and I finally found it.  Victory is mine!

saved by the bell.  Just in case you guys had forgotten what inspired this little trip down memory lane.

And of course there were the early morning re-runs of gilligan's island, the beverly hillbillies, and the brady bunch to watch while we had our breakfast before school.  Ah, those were the days.

What were your favourite shows growing up?
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment